Monday 19 April 2010

'What is PCOS?'

PCOS also known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is an emotional, physical and physiologically debilitating illness with a wide range of symptoms that range from hirsutism (excessive hair growth) to infertility. It is a hormonal disorder that affects roughly 1 in 10 women of child bearing age with varying degree of seriousness. There is no definitive cause of the disease (no one to blame!) and no definitive one-pill cure for it (shit!).

I was diagnosed in January 2010 after a scan that showed both my ovaries were covered in multiple cysts, along with other symptoms. It was the conclusion of several investigations that ensued over a course of two years when I still wasn't dropping any babies three years into my marriage. Before I went about pulling my hair out, and throwing myself against the wall I decided to find out as much info as I could about PCOS. As soon as I got home I got online and ordered "PCOS: A Woman's Guide to Dealing with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome" by Colette Harris.

When it arrived I buried my head into it, and as I flipped page after page a calm sense of realization came over me and I knew there is light at the end of the tunnel after all. I knew what I needed to do, to not only enable me conceive, but to live a healthy and fulfilled life, thereafter.

There is no cure for PCOS. The symptoms can however, be managed by maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment