Our food supply is not as healthy as it appears. A vital part of your quest to overcome PCOS is to improve the quality of your diet. To a great extent, "you are what you eat".
The Natural Society (naturalsociety.com) reported a survey of farmers that asked them what foods they avoid. Their list is below. If a farmer won't eat them, neither should you.
1) Canned tomatoes. Many cans are lined with a resin containing BPA, which is a hormone disrupter suspected of causing of PCOS. Since tomatoes are acidic, they leach the BPA out of the can and into the contents of your can.
2) Conventional beef. Most beef cattle are fed corn, soy or grain in order to make them gain fat weight. The fat makes the meat taste good and it is more tender. But the saturated fat may contain accumulated pesticides and other chemicals. Go with organic or grass-fed beef if you possibly can. Besides a better quality fat, it has a higher nutritional value.
3) Microwave popcorn. Don't be fooled into thinking microwave popcorn is a healthy, low-fat snack. The popcorn bags contain perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) which may interfere with fertility.
4) Conventional potatoes. Potatoes are among our commercial crops sprayed with pesticides, fungicides or herbicides. Go with organic potatoes.
5) Farmed salmon. Farmed salmon is cheaper than wild. However, farmed salmon are fed with food pellets containing questionable substances, including chicken feathers. Farmed salmon tend to have higher levels of pesticides.
6) Conventional milk. Dairy cows are fed growth hormones and given a variety of other pharmaceuticals in order to maximize milk production. These substances carry through into their milk.
7. Conventional apples. Our orchards are routinely sprayed with pesticides and other chemicals, for the purpose of producing maximum amounts of cosmetically-pleasing fruit. Once again, you are much better off with organic apples. Please remember that there is no "safe" amount of pesticide, just like there is no safe amount of cigarettes you can smoke. Pesticides are not easily flushed out of the body. They are stored in your cells where they do their damage.