Sunday 31 October 2010

Premenstrual Insomnia

In  my pre-PCOS and pre-PMS past, the only symptom I had of knowing my period was imminent was a pre-period insomnia. I didn't have any bbs pain, no fatigue and no cramps. I just know that for some reason, no matter how much sleeping pills I popped I would be unable to sleep the night before my period starts.

I've been reading online that it is caused by a rapid drop in progesterone, which happens if the egg is not fertilised. Progesterone is a relaxant, which is why a lot of women feel fatigued during their 2ww and which is why fatigue is commonly assosicated with PMS symptoms. Apparently some women can have it for days, but luckily I only have it for one day. And what's weird about mine is that I don't feel tired the following day. I don't feel like someone that spent the night listening to upstairs neighbours waking up to pee, and hearing the water flow down the pipes when they flush. If fact I wake up energetic!

Though I haven't had this in a while, I knew I had it coming yesterday night when by 2 am I was barely yawning.

I am blessed to have a lot of internal indicators that I don't need to rely on other means of determining whether or not I'm ovulating or indeed, whether or not my body is producing enough progesterone in my LP. My body is actually really good when it's behaving well. I can save money on OPK's and save time temping, not that I do either anyway.

At least now I know for sure that I AM ovulating and my body IS releasing an egg. Phew!

It's good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment